1009 Huron Drive
Crossville, TN 38572
Phone: (931) 261-1884
I maintain current CPR and 1st aid certification. In addition, I am a licensed Tennessee fishing guide and am also authorized to guide within the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I maintain membership in the American Fly Fishing Trade Association as a fly fishing guide.
My objective as a professional fly fishing guide is to provide the best fly fishing experience for my clients. Each trip is tailored to the clients’ needs and learning goals. I provide instruction for beginners and advanced anglers alike in fly fishing for trout and smallmouth bass.
I graduated from Southern Adventist University (SAU) with a B.A. in Mathematics, minor in History, and Secondary Teaching Certification. I also received the Secondary Student Teacher of the Year Award for the 2008-2009 school year at SAU. I am set to graduate with a Masters in Outdoor Education in May of 2018.
- Daniel Drake, Shop Manager at Little River Outfitters, 865-448-9459 or email@example.com.
- Carleton Swafford, Graduate Dean at SAU, (423) 236-2864 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Byron Begley, Owner of Little River Outfitters, email@example.com.
- David Perry, Owner of Southeastern Fly, (615) 796-5143 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Client references available upon request.
- 2015 to Present Math Teacher at Inez Wrenn SDA School
- 2014 to Present Self-employed as a fly fishing guide in middle and east Tennessee, specializing in the waters of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and streams on the Cumberland Plateau (http://www.troutzoneanglers.com).
- 2012- Fall 2013 I was working at Vista Ridge Academy (through December 2013), but due to lowered enrollment and budget shortfalls, was cut at Christmas that year along with two other teachers and the junior and senior classes. I was teaching 7th grade math, 8th grade math, Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, Precalculus, 7th and 8th Grade History, and Economics.
- 2009-2012 I worked for Heritage Academy located near Monterey Tennessee. My duties included teaching math through Precalculus and teaching Economics and American History. During my last year at Heritage, I was also working as Vice-Principal for Academics. Prior to the last year at Heritage, I also was the assistant boys’ dean.
Fly Fishing History/Background
I began fly fishing around the age of 10. My early years were spent casting on the lawn at home and fishing whenever I could convince one of my parents (or anyone else!) to take me. By my late teens, I had saved up the money to invest in a guided fly fishing trip with local legend, Walter Babb. This trip took years off of the learning curve and propelled me quickly towards becoming the angler that I am today. Since that time, I have been fortunate enough to fish with many excellent anglers and guides as well as spending many hours and days on the water myself. During college, I spent a summer working at Little River Outfitters in Townsend, TN.
Always working at honing my craft, I began tying flies by around age twelve and have since developed fly patterns that are specific to my local waters and fish. These give me an edge as a fly fishing guide and help me make sure my clients catch fish.
I began my own guide business in 2014 and have since worked as an independent guide and also as an instructor at Little River Outfitters. There, I teach the on-stream portion of their beginner fly fishing classes and also help teach the Nymphing Strategies class.
I like doing just about anything out in nature. I hike, camp, backpack, and fly fish often. I enjoy writing and maintain a blog about my fly fishing adventures. You can see it at http://www.thetroutzone.com. I enjoy rock-climbing as well as sports. I also enjoy meteorology, particularly severe storms and storm chasing. In addition to math, I also love history and read a lot of history books in my leisure time. Most important of all though is my relationship with Jesus.